Wednesday, September 15, 2010

The Forgotten Bereaved

It seems strange to me that there are very few resources for those who have lost a sibling to suicide. Support groups, even online resources are very much geared toward parents who have lost a child, or children who have lost a parent, but very little for siblings.

It makes me wonder--am I alone in this? Are there no other siblings who have lost a brother or sister to suicide? Do siblings not usually experience such pain and suffering?

Are there truly so few siblings who need suicide survivor support, or are have we just been forgotten?

2 comments:

  1. You're definitely not alone Rella, and I've heard the same thing from my boss many times about the lack of support resources for siblings. I know how painful it must be to grieve and talk about your brother, but I think you're incredible strong for doing so. If you ever need anything, I'm here for you.
    -Naomi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe you should start a group. Unfortunately, you'll probably find that there are many others just like you.
    - Sara (from UMBC Hillel)

    ReplyDelete